Monday, November 17, 2008

"Words As Big As The Screen: Native American..."

Wow. I'm flabbergasted. This reading is so unique, so... so... relevant! The coolest of all? I knew the authors mentioned! I thought it was well-balanced piece-"language death" vs. "language revitilization"; language and culture vs language without culture; traditional vs. modern. What do Native Americans want? That is the ultimate question. In terms of using technology to advance/save our language? The possibilities are endless. Imagine the jobs our students could have-designing web pages for us, creating CDs/DVDs. After having taken Language Policy and Planning class, I cleary understood how the dominant society can "encourage" yet have a "leash" on what indigenous people can and cannot do. Ironically, this can happen within the community too. It's like the phrase-"damned if we do, and damned if we don't". Sometimes you just can't please everybody-especially in regards to preserving language and culture. I feel like I'm taking baby steps in learning to implement technology in my classroom and teaching-I want to take advantage of it, but I don't know enough yet. The world is so huge and accessible via internet that it's a litte intimidating. This is something that needs careful exploring because I tend to be cautious about new things-Wow. How to make a difference in saving/keeping Yup'ik strong in the 21st century? Wow.

No comments: