Monday, November 10, 2008

PowerPoints

Moses and Samson's papers on PowerPoint made me realize that this "new" tool isn't really new-it's just a modern version of overhead projectors (which I still one in my classroom!). I still use transparencies every now and then... The overarching "problem" I noticed that both brought out was this: how does one use the powerpoint? I have seen many presentations-not each one isn't done the same way! The ones I dislike have so many words that the presenter just reads off of it. Yes, exactly what is the purpose? I have made a few powerpoint myself-but I find it more fun when students use it for their presentations. In fact, for my Junior High Reading class, I let them have a "taste" of using powerpoints. They were making "presentation" on a story we had just finished reading and were making a story map using the elements of characters, setting, plot, theme. While they were experimenting with it, they were using "major characters", minor characters" in their language. That's using repetition. In the high reading classes, one indicator n the reading phases is "oral presentation". Most have used powerpoint to do presentation as part of their book project too. We have used powerpoint during our graduation-and have been for several years. Although I don't see myself using it too much... I don't have the patience nor time to sit down to make presentations using powerpoint for two reading classes, a writing class, Junior High science class and a fine arts class. Maybe I just need to keep practicing until I learn how.

No comments: